The Federal Government of Nigeria has initiated a three-count criminal charge against Nasir El-Rufai, the former governor of Kaduna State, following his public claims regarding the interception of communications belonging to the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.
Filed on Monday, February 16, 2026, by the Department of State Services (DSS) at the Federal High Court in Abuja, the charges stem from an interview El-Rufai gave last week on Arise TV’s Prime Time program.
During the broadcast, the former governor alleged that he and unnamed associates had listened to the NSA’s private phone calls.
Read Also: Why El-Rufai Must Face Probe — Deji Adeyanju
“Ribadu made the call because we listened to their calls. The government thinks that they’re the only ones that listen to calls. But we also have our ways,” El-Rufai reportedly said.
Despite acknowledging the legal implications of such actions, El-Rufai attempted to normalize the breach by stating, “I know [it is illegal], but the government does it all the time. They listen to our calls all the time without a court order. But someone tapped his phone and told us that he gave the order.”
The formal charge sheet, which identifies the Federal Republic of Nigeria as the complainant and Mallam Nasir El-Rufai as the defendant, outlines the following allegations:
See the charge below:
CHARGE
COUNT ONE
That you, Mallam Nasir El Rufai, adult, male, on 13th February, 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV Station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this court, did admit during the interview that you and your cohorts unlawfully intercepted the Phone Communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment Act, 2024.
COUNT TWO
That you, Mallam Nasir El Rufai, adult, male, on 13th February, 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV Station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this court, did state during the interview that you know and relate with certain individual, who unlawfully intercepted the Phone Communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, without reporting the said individual to relevant Security agencies and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 27 (b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment Act, 2024.
COUNT THREE
That you, Mallam Nasir El Rufai, adult, male, and other still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this court, with others still at large did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety, national security and instilling reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the Phone Communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, to which you admitted during an interview on 13th February, 2026, on Arise TV Station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131 (2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.
See photos below:
Join Informant Online WhatsApp Channel With Link Below: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaihFajBadmT29ufud2


